2018 Oscar Food Puns & Winner Predictions



Truthfully, I don't really care what wins at the Academy Awards.  I have already seen and have opinions of each film, and it winning or losing an award will not sway my opinion at all.  That being said, as a big movie nerd, I love watching them.  We have a small party every year with Oscar pun food (tonight's menu is below) and we all fill out our predictions for bragging rights.  This year, I decided to go public with my predictions.  I also wanted to add a little note of what I think SHOULD win, for the record.

Oscar Pun Menu - Beauty and the Feast

Appetizers: 


Three Layer Dip Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Pretzel Washington with Beer Cheese
Baby Carrot Driver with Dip
War for the Planet of the Grapes

Entree:

The Big Chick-en Sandwich on Phantom Bread (cooked in a Pan-iel Day Lewis)
Call Me Fries Your Name

Dessert:

Pie, Tonya
Dunkirk Donuts

Drinks:

Hardywoody Harrelson



Did not make the final menu Puns (my favorites are starred):

The Crepe of Water / The Shape of Watermelon
Star Wars: The Last Jello
Three Cheeseboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Phantom Bread Pudding
The Roast / The Toast
Hot Coco
Sweet and Darkest Sour Chicken
***Baguette Out***
Lady Fingers Bird
Baby Spinach Driver
The Boss Baby Back Ribs
***Ferdinandouille Sausage***
***Tamale's Game***
Mudground Beef
***Creme Brulee-d Runner 2049***

Salad Hawkins
Escargot Robbie / Margo-gurt Robbie
***Daniel Kahula***
Sufjan Ste-amed Dumplings
Sriracha Ronin
Frances McNuggets
Jordan Orange Peele / Jordan Veal
***Feta Gerwig***
***Guillermo del Taco***
Sherry Oldman / Cherry Oldman
Willem da-cookie Dough /***Willem da-four cheese pizza
Allison Jammey / Allison Hammy Sammies
Christopher Plumcake
***Meryl Peeps***
Sam Oyster Rockwell-feller
Roger Pea-kins


2018 Oscar Predictions

Best Picture: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- I think this should win, but I can also see The Shape of Water winning as well.

Director: Guillermo del Toro
- This one is a lock and is well deserved.

Actress: Frances McDormand
- No doubt on this one, she was mesmerizing.

Actor: Gary Oldman
- The Academy seems to eat up biopics, but I personally prefer when someone invents and embodies a new character.  Daniel Day-Lewis deserves this all the way.

Supporting Actress: Allison Janney
- No arguments here, she won over a new fan with her performance here.

Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell
-It's about time the Academy recognizes Rockwell.  He has been one of the best actors working for a long time now.

Original Screenplay: Get Out
-You won't hear me complaining about a horror movie winning best original screenplay, though if you read my Top 10 of 2017, you know that I'd love to see The Big Sick get a win in its only nomination.

Adapted Screenplay: Call Me By Your Name
- I did not like Call Me By Your Name at all.  I would give this one to Molly's Game, Sorkin is on another level with his dialogue.

Animated Feature: Coco
- No contest.  If you asked me to pick the biggest lock of the entire Awards, this is it right here.

Original Score: The Shape of Water
- I listened to this soundtrack the second I got home from the movie.  Best of the year.

Original Song: Remember Me
- I liked Remember Me, but as a big Sufjan Stevens fan, I'd love to see Mystery of Love win this one.

Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049
- Academy...please...I beg you...give the Award to Deakins.  The master of cinematography cannot go 0 for 14 on his nominations.

Makeup and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour
- Not mocking Oldman's performance earlier at all, he was unrecognizable.  The makeup helped.

Costume Design: Phantom Thread
- It is a movie about dressmaking, it will win.  The Shape of Water is also worthy, as most of the fish-man was costume.  Though I doubt people will think of it that way.

Production Design: The Shape of Water
- Everything looked beautiful in Shape of Water, but Blade Runner 2049 just had a look that I haven't seen before.

Film Editing: Dunkirk
- Dunkirk looks to be the heavy favorite here, but I would give it to Baby Driver for seamlessly making a movie around pre-existing music.

Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049
- Everything in this movie looked so real, and Apes looked incredible but so have the past two, which have never won.


***And now for the categories that I have no idea about, but here are my picks based on the little bit of research that I did:

Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
- I did not see any of these, but from what I have seen, this is the CLEAR favorite.

Documentary Feature: Faces Places
- Again, did not see any of these, but from what I can tell, it is between Faces Places and Icarus.

Sound Editing: Dunkirk
- The sound of Dunkirk was enthralling and encapsulating.  But to be frank, I don't really understand what makes one movie's sound better than another.

Sound Mixing: Dunkirk
- Again, not sure what this fully entails.

Documentary Short Subject: Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405
- Didn't see any of the nominees.

Short Film - Live Action:  DeKalb Elementary
- Didn't see any of the nominees.

Short Film - Animated: Dear Basketball
- Didn't see any of the nominees.


Thanks for reading!  Feel free to follow along with my picks as the Awards go on and make fun of me for how wrong I am.  On average lately, I get about 17 out of 24 right.  We'll see about this year!








Comments